ABOUT THE ROLE
The Director of Finance will lead the strategic thinking and implement the infrastructure/systems needed to support the growth and financial sustainability of the Cambridge Redevelopment Authority. Reporting to the Executive Director, she or he will build and manage effective financial systems, including investment management, bookkeeping and accounting, loan financing, and asset management. The Director of Finance will become a key player on our small team involved in organization planning, program evaluation, and future development initiatives. This is currently planned as a part-time position (approximately 25 hours a week) with the potential to grow into a full-time position as the CRA’s programs expand.
ABOUT THE CRA AND OUR WORKPLACE
We work in the public trust to bring a human dimension to development, improving the quality of life for residents, businesses, employees, and visitors. Our goal is to balance economic vibrancy, housing, and open space to create sustainable communities through new and revitalized development. We are committed to implementing imaginative, creative initiatives to achieve social equity and a balanced economic ecosystem.
To do this, the CRA has worked on various redevelopment projects throughout Cambridge in close partnership with the City and other organizations. We believe that diversity, equity and inclusion make us stronger as individuals, organizations and a society. Our work requires understanding the problems that cities face and the impact of our interventions on residents and communities.
The CRA provides a flexible, supportive, and family-friendly work environment. We will accommodate individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Information about the CRA, its strategic plan, and ongoing projects may be found at our website: www.cambridgeredevelopment.org.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director and the Operations Director on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes, with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems for efficiency and transparency.
- Oversee budgeting, financial forecasting, and cash flow for administration, existing building programs, and proposed new project sites.
- Advise the Board on investment decisions and utilization of long-term financing tools.
- Oversee the preparation and finalization of monthly and annual book reconciliations, financial reporting materials for the CRA Board, and other filings.
- Coordinate audit activities and program evaluations.
- Assist the staff with the CRA’s asset management including real estate holdings.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The Director of Finance will have at least five years of professional experience, including managing the finance and administration of an organization or department with an operating budget of over $2 million. She or he will have experience creating the analytic framework for long-term planning and managing organizational growth in a highly entrepreneurial organization. Preference will be given to individuals with governmental accounting experience, however strong experience in the nonprofit or real estate sectors may serve as an adequate substitute. Compelling candidates would possess an interest in urban policy, community development, real estate finance, and land use planning.
The Director of Finance will have the following experience and attributes:
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and fund accounting, ideally in the government or nonprofit sectors.
- Professional degree in Business, Management, or Finance.
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multidisciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
- Experience with audits, regulatory compliance, annual budgets, financial resource development, insurance and investment strategies.
- Proven effectiveness leading and advising professionals in finance and accounting.
- Technologically savvy, with examples of work with bookkeeping software systems and implementing efficient purchasing systems.
- Understanding of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GABS) accounting rules, the Uniform Massachusetts Accounting System (UMAS) and Massachusetts procurement procedures.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting organizational priorities and proposing new methods of creating operational efficiencies.
- Flexible and a self-starter; able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to CRA’s mission.
Part-time salary starts at $65,000 with final compensation dependent on skills and experience. Our benefit package includes health insurance, dental insurance, vacation, transit subsidy, and membership in the Cambridge Retirement System.
If this sounds like you, please respond by 12 noon, Monday December 2, 2019 to:
Place “Director of Finance” in the subject and attach your resume and cover letter as one PDF. We’ll review applications on a rolling basis.
The CRA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and appreciates diversity of experience, opinion, and approach. We encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.